Testing OSD in Configuration Manager (ConfigMgr) 2007
If you are developing and testing your ConfigMgr 2007 OSD process, and you're running into a message saying "There are no task sequences available for this computer," then you might not want to have to completely reboot WinPE to restart the process.
After you fix your task sequence / policy problem, you can restart the task sequence engine / wizard without exiting WinPE. Here's how:
1. Enable the F8 command prompt in your Boot Image
2. When the wizard fails in PE, press F8 to invoke the command prompt
3. Run task manager by typing "taskmgr"
4. Kill the process named "TsmBootStrap.exe"
5. Start "TsBootShell.exe" (note the name difference) from the "x:\sms\bin\i386" folder
The task sequence wizard should restart!
NOTE: Do not kill the main instance of TsBootShell.exe! This will disable WinPE and force you to reboot into it!